One of, if not the most important skill to develop is self-awareness. Without it, you can get trapped in the same situations and never grow or achieve the things you truly want in life. Dealing with toxic emotions is an area many can get trapped in and below and some examples of lessons that can be learnt from these emotions.
- shows you where you still need to heal.
How can you forgive that person or event?
- shows you where you’re living in the past and not allowing the present to be as it is
Can you turn around your viewpoint to treat the event more as a learning experience?
- shows you that you need to pay attention right now to what is happening because you’re being given the opportunity to change, to do something different.
Are you allowing yourself to go outside your comfort zones?
- shows you what you’re passionate about, where your boundaries are, and what you believe needs to change about the world.
Are you channeling your temporary anger into a worthy pursuit or cause?
- shows you that you've tried for something, that you do not give in to apathy.
Are you able to move on, learn and become stronger next time?
- shows you that you’re still living in other people’s expectations of what you should do (or be)
You don’t owe anyone anything. Are you allowing yourself to be you?
- shows you that you’re internalising other people’s beliefs about who you should be (or who you feel you are) and that you need to reconnect with yourself. No one can make you feel shame unless you accept their version of you.
Do you respect your life and feel proud of who you are?
- shows you that you need to wake up, right now, and that you need to be present, that you’re stuck in the past and living in fear of the future.
Is your life limited by irrational fears?
- shows you the depth of your feeling, the depth of your care for others and this world.
Are you able to pull yourself out of this state, accept, learn and move on?
Can you relate to any of these? and what did you do to resolve it?